Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Shakespeare

I've decided to study Shakespeare. By that, I mean read some of his plays and see the movies. I don't really know much about his works except that they are difficult to understand and read. And many people really love his works. So, I want to make the effort here in my old age. During one of my visit to Tokyo I was at the station. I wanted to go to Kinokuniya bookstore to make my book purchases. The info lady informed me that that book store is in Shinjuku and she directed me to Maruzen. (oops) Once there I was mesmerized (completely wowed) by all the books. I bought Shakespeare's Twelfth Night and Alice in Wonderland. Twelfth Night is a romantic comedy. I read the introduction and of course learned many things about The Bard and the times in which he lived. They also wrote about the theaters at that time. The book explains the meanings of many words and facts about the story and his English. That is very helpful. It is not a long play (which is why I chose it) so I actually read it twice. Then I ordered a set of five DVDs which includes this play. I want to see how it looks on stage. I can't wait to watch it. 

No comments: