Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Zoujou Temple

We rang in the New Year at our hotel at midnight. Then I headed straight for the Zoujou Temple. I wanted to make my first new year's temple visit (Hatsu mode) there. Of course many, many people were already there waiting. So, I got in line. There were perhaps a thousand people in front of me. The line across was maybe 40 or 50 people. And I was still 100 meters from the temple steps. We moved slowly, as if in a wave. The people in front the Temple were allowed in. Then the next group was allowed up to the stairs. So, the people behind them move up. Then the people behind them move up. Then the people behind then move up. Like waves...do you follow me? Some people were holding babies or young tots. There were many couples. And everyone was taking pictures. It was not cold. I finally got to the front of the steps. It took about 45 minutes to get there. There were police officers giving directions. I waited my turn. Finally I entered the temple to make my greeting. However OMG! I didn't have any coins! So, I did a fake con toss and prayed that no one noticed. I wonder where I'll go next year.

No comments: