Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Othello

Othello, the Moor of Venice is a play written by William Shakespeare. It is a tragedy. Othello is a Moor from Venice. He is a black man. He is a great general in the army. He marries the beautiful Desdemona. She did not tell her father though. But they are happy UNTIL... one man, Iago, makes Othello hate his wife. How? By telling lies to him and plotting a scheme to prove that she loves another man. That man is Cassio. Casio is Othello's general. Othello made Casio his general instead of Iago. So, Iago is envious. After reading the book I found the play on YouTube. It was three hours long. So, I watched it over 3 days. In the end of the story Othello, his wife, her mistress, Emilia, and Roderigo are all dead. (Roderigo was in love with Desdemona. Iago killed him.) As usual the Bard's English is so cool. For most of the YouTube, I followed the words in the book as the actors were saying them. This is how I will continue my study of William Shakespeare. My next book is The Merry Wives of Windsor. I found that play on YouTube also. I wonder...should I watch the movie first?

No comments: