Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Coming of Age Day

There was the celebration of Coming of Age here in Japan yesterday, January 14th. Here is the info from Wikipedia:
Every year on the second Monday of January, The Japanese celebrate Coming of Age Day. or Seijin no Hi. Sometimes called 'Aduolts Day', this holiday is all about welcoming the country's youth into adulthood. It's an important rite of passage for all young Japanese and can trace its roots back hundreds of years. Coming of Age Day welcomes new adults into society. In Japan, youth are officially considered adults at the age or 20. As an adult, they are now allowed to drink, drive, smoke and gamble legally. The legal voting age, however, was lowered to 18 in 2015.
I was off all day yesterday. In the past I went to Super Arena in Omiya to see the new young adults and take pics and enjoy the atmosphere. I considered doing that again this year, but I did not do it. I took a trip to Tokyo on Sunday and then to the gym. So, I was a bit pooped (tired). Instead, I did gardening, watched football on TV, cleaned around the house and just relaxed. How about you? Did you see any Seijins?

No comments: