Tuesday, May 15, 2018

endoscopy OR gastroscopy

April 24th was the last free day from my kindergarten teaching schedule. So, I took the opportunity to get a stomach check-up. This was my second time. I went to the same doctor. He's pretty cool and speaks English. The following is from the NET about an endoscopy. The write up is below.
A gastroscopy is a test where an operator - a doctor or nurse - looks into the upper part of your gut (the upper gastrointestinal tract).
The upper gut consists of the gullet (oesophagus), the stomach and the first part of the gut (small intestine) known as the duodenum. The operator uses an endoscope to look inside your gut. Therefore, the test is sometimes called endoscopy.
An endoscope is a thin, flexible telescope. It is about as thick as a little finger. The endoscope is passed through the mouth, into the oesophagus and down towards the stomach and duodenum.
The tip of the endoscope contains a light and a tiny video camera so the operator can see inside your gut.
The endoscope also has a side channel down which various instruments can pass. These can be manipulated by the operator. For example, the operator may take a small sample (biopsy) from the inside lining of the stomach by using a thin 'grabbing' instrument which is passed down a side channel.

No comments: